Feature #3833

Time tracking enhancement

Added by XXX XXX about 12 years ago. Updated about 12 years ago.

Status:NewStart date:2009-09-08
Priority:HighDue date:
Assignee:-% Done:

0%

Category:Time tracking
Target version:-
Resolution:

Description

It would be nice if the comment field, when adding the time you have worked, would be a textarea like in JIRA. Sometimes I did a lot for an issue and like to explain what I have done in those hours on more then 1 line.

It would also seem better that "% done" would be calculated using the "estimated time" and the logged hours. I would call it spend time then. When an issue is closed then you'll know that it is done so it seems that showing the spend time in the bar is more usefull (in my opinion).

The last and for me also important feature is that the logged time + comment appear under the issue in the comments as any other update. This is also done in JIRA and works very good. Maybe separate it in a second tab (tab "comments/updates" and tab "worklog").

History

#1 Updated by Adam Piotr ┼╗ochowski about 12 years ago

Mano Swerts wrote:

It would be nice if the comment field, when adding the time you have worked, would be a textarea like in JIRA. Sometimes I did a lot for an issue and like to explain what I have done in those hours on more then 1 line.

Why not update the issue then?

The time logged is supposed to be a quickie 'spoke to client' or 'debugged code' while issue update note should include all, the minutes of the client call, or steps / ideas used during code debugging.

It would also seem better that "% done" would be calculated using the "estimated time" and the logged hours. I would call it spend time then. When an issue is closed then you'll know that it is done so it seems that showing the spend time in the bar is more usefull (in my opinion).

Not sure if this is good. Estimated time is often user's wish list of what he is willing to pay, or developer underestimating the task at hand (the difference between : kinda done vs polished final).

The last and for me also important feature is that the logged time + comment appear under the issue in the comments as any other update. This is also done in JIRA and works very good. Maybe separate it in a second tab (tab "comments/updates" and tab "worklog").

I am running a patch to show time log entries in activity ( #3785 ), this idea is also good. It would be great if someone had time to add this.

Kind regards

Adam ┼╗ochowski

#2 Updated by XXX XXX about 12 years ago

Adam Piotr ┼╗ochowski wrote:

Why not update the issue then?

The time logged is supposed to be a quickie 'spoke to client' or 'debugged code' while issue update note should include all, the minutes of the client call, or steps / ideas used during code debugging.

Yeah I know. Sorry that I didn't explain well enough. I mean that sometimes I put a small bullet list of approx. 3 items in the worklog comment in JIRA. Because it is a textarea there, this can be done but here not. For example:
- Spoke to John about possible cause of the problem
- Updated login system to prevent error

Not sure if this is good. Estimated time is often user's wish list of what he is willing to pay, or developer underestimating the task at hand (the difference between : kinda done vs polished final).

Yeah there is something in JIRA that's called spend time and there is also a bar for estimated time and I probably compared it to the done bar without really thinking it through, But it is still not very usefull in my eyes cause it is extremely difficult to estimate the 'Done' percentage so almost nobody uses it and just puts it on 100 & when closing the issue.

The last and for me also important feature is that the logged time + comment appear under the issue in the comments as any other update. This is also done in JIRA and works very good. Maybe separate it in a second tab (tab "comments/updates" and tab "worklog").

I am running a patch to show time log entries in activity ( #3785 ), this idea is also good. It would be great if someone had time to add this.

Yeah a combination of both would be perfect! I hope that it makes it into 0.9. I would like to do it, but I have never worked with Ruby before so I still need to learn the language and the framework (rails). Maybe that I'll start learning it soon when I have the time.

Btw now I'm writing a comment on this issue, doesn't it seem unnatural that this has to be doen through update? I'd prefer a separate comment link. This is also better so that there can be also users that can only comment, without being able to adjust 'status', 'assigned to' and '% done'. What do you think? Is this worth a new feature request?

Thanks for your comments!

Mano

#3 Updated by Christopher Mann about 12 years ago

I added a plugin Redmine_Taskjuggler which is supposed to allow stonger project management through Redmine.
(And I would like to collaborate on that)

#4 Updated by Alex Bevilacqua about 12 years ago

Mano Swerts wrote:

Btw now I'm writing a comment on this issue, doesn't it seem unnatural that this has to be doen through update? I'd prefer a separate comment link. This is also better so that there can be also users that can only comment, without being able to adjust 'status', 'assigned to' and '% done'. What do you think? Is this worth a new feature request?

Thanks for your comments!

Mano

I logged this as #3852. I agree that this should be a feature to simplify user interaction.

Also available in: Atom PDF