Frequently Asked Questions¶
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Installing and Running Redmine
- Does Redmine works with Rails 2.x.x?
- When I start the application, I get this error "in 'gem_original_require': no such file to load -- initializer (LoadError)"
- When I start the application, I get this error message: "cannot connect to mysql: No such file or directory - /tmp/mysql.sock"
- The application freeze after a long time of inactivity.
- Why does Redmine use http links when I want it to use https links in Apache? (SSL)
- Issue tracking
- Time tracking
- Installing and Running Redmine
Installing and Running Redmine¶
Does Redmine works with Rails 2.x.x?¶
See compatibility in the Installation guide.
When I start the application, I get this error "in 'gem_original_require': no such file to load -- initializer (LoadError)"¶
Make sure Ruby on Rails is properly installed on your machine.
When I start the application, I get this error message: "cannot connect to mysql: No such file or directory - /tmp/mysql.sock"¶
You have to specify the socket location in
The application freeze after a long time of inactivity.¶
There's a bug in ruby/mysql adapter < 2.7.3 that leads to loose the database connection. Please update your adapter.
You can see thread at: http://rubyforge.org/forum/message.php?msg_id=25951.
Why does Redmine use http links when I want it to use https links in Apache? (SSL)¶
This happens when Apache sending requests to a backend server, like mongrel or thin. Apache isn't telling the backend server to use https so the links are generated incorrectly. Add the following configuration to Apache:
RequestHeader set X_FORWARDED_PROTO 'https'
I've created a new issue status but I can't use it, it doesn't show up in the status drop-down list.¶
Once you've created a new issue status, you need to include it in the workflow.
Say you have created a status named 'In progress' and you want the developers to be able to change bugs from 'New' to 'In progress'.
Go to "Administration -> Issue tracking -> Workflow", select 'Bug' and 'Developer' then click edit.
You now see all the transitions allowed for developers on bugs. Check the 'New' -> 'In progress' checkbox and save.
See Workflow setup.
I've created a new tracker but I can't use it, it doesn't show up in the trackers drop-down list.¶
Once you've created a new tracker, you need to "activate" it for a specific project.Say you have created a tracker named 'Task' and you want the new tracker to be used for your project;
- go to "(Project-)Settings -> tab 'Information' -> fieldset 'Trackers'",
- check the checkbox of the new tracker 'Task',
- and then click save.
You can now start using the new tracker 'Task' in the project for which you've just activated the new tracker.
How does "Related issues" work?¶
- Related - Just adds a link to the other issue
- Duplicates - Links issues so that closing one, will close the other (e.g. closing #100 will close #101)
- Blocks - Indicates that an issue need to be completed before working on the next.
- Precedes - Defines an "order", where issue #100 needs to be completed x days before #101 can be started on.
The time calculations in "Spent time Reports" are wrong.¶
- Example: you have 4 tasks with the following spent time values: 1.00, 0.10, 0.15, & 0.40. Now in the Spent-Time reports (Project overview -> Spent time -> [Details | Report]) you see a total of 1.65 hours instead of 2.05 hours...???
- Explanation: this "behaviour" is normal and intended since you enter those four spent-time values using decimal time format. This means that:
- 1.00 decimal equals 60 minutes (1 hour)
- 0.10 decimal equals 6 minutes
- 0.15 decimal equals 9 minutes
- 0.40 decimal equals 24 minutes
- 1.65 decimal equals 99 minutes
- 2.05 hours (125 minutes) equals 2.0833333333333335 (est.) in decimal notation
Offcourse there can possibly be a very tiny difference (as you can see) due to the rounding to two decimals done by Redmine.Some references:
Commits don't show up in the activity until I click on 'Repository'¶
By default, Redmine fetches the new commits from the repository only when you browse it.
If you want the commits to be retrieved periodically by Redmine in the background for all your repositories, uncheck 'Autofetch commits' setting and add a cron that runs (with appropriate environment):
ruby script/runner "Repository.fetch_changesets" -e production
I can't browse my svn repository through redmine¶Check the following:
- Make sure you're using a svn client and server >= 1.3. Redmine parse the -xml output from subversion, which is a svn 1.3 feature.
- Make sure that the web app is able to run the svn binary
If you're accessing the repository over HTTPS:
The initial import of a subversion repository over https requires that the ssl certificate fingerprint be manually validated and stored in a config-dir accessible by the user running the web server. It is recommended that a directory local to the redmine application root be provided, either as a default (./svn/.subversion) or as a provided parameter in the repository settings for subversion.
The work around for the certificate acceptance issue is to manually checkout anything from the svn server specifying the local config-dir and accepting the certificate .
$ svn --config-dir ./svn/.subversion co https://svn.mydomain.com/project/trunk delete-me Error validating server certificate for 'https://svn.mydomain.com:443': - The certificate is not issued by a trusted authority. Use the fingerprint to validate the certificate manually! - The certificate hostname does not match. - The certificate has expired. Certificate information: - Hostname: svn.mydomain.com - Valid: from Apr 8 12:00:00 2006 GMT until Sep 24 12:00:00 2010 GMT - Issuer: mydomain.com, vrsource.org, Geneva, UN - Fingerprint: 01:27:d9:6a:b8:db:63:f3:24:e3:41:c8:15:0a:f8:93:f6:7c:0f:11 (R)eject, accept (t)emporarily or accept (p)ermanently? p
Repository statistics doesn't show up¶
There's a bug in rexml 3.1.7 provided with ruby 1.8.6.
ruby/1.8/rexml/document.rb (line 186), change:
if transitive to
if trans then restart the app.
See http://www.germane-software.com/projects/rexml/ticket/115 for details.
How do I create sub-pages (parent/child relationships) in the wiki¶
Looking at http://www.redmine.org/wiki/redmine/Page_index/special it is possible to make use of some sort of sub-paging like:
This can be accomplished by assigning a parent page to a to-be child-page. This assignment can be done via the
Thus, create both the child- and parent-pages and then open the to-be child-page and click "rename", then enter the name of the parent page.
When I create a new issue, Redmine freeze during one minute.¶
Make sure your SMTP server is properly configured or desactive email notifications (remove
config/email.yml) and restart redmine.
All times are off by 1 hour after the daylight savings switched¶
Rails < 2.1 built-in time zone implementation doesn't handle DST. You have to install TZInfo.
To do so, run the following from your Redmine directory:
ruby script/plugin install tzinfo_timezone
Do not install this plugin if you're using Redmine 0.8.
What is the difference between Documents and Files?¶
The "Documents" section is aimed to publish... documents as specification of the tracked project, or notice, or every other documents that have not it's place in a SCM.
The "Files" section is aimed to publish... versions of the tracked project, as a bundle (release).
I get a 404-error when I try to view or diff a PHP-file¶
It's because Apache is seeing the extension
.php and tries to run the PHP-interpreter on the file. Since the requested URL isn't a real file, it returns a 404 error.
The solution is to turn off mod_php for your Redmine virtual host. That will cause Apache to call Redmine to serve up the file.
To do so, add the following line to your virtual host configuration: