Problem with Gmail notification settings

Added by Ahmed Toulan almost 12 years ago

Hey everyone,
I am trying to configure Redmine to send notifications using my GMail account.

My installation is on Debian, Versions:
Redmine - 1.0.2-4
Rails - 2.3.5-1.1
Ruby1.8 - 1.8.7.302-2

I followed this post http://redmineblog.com/articles/setup-redmine-to-send-email-using-gmail/

I have config/email.yml file that looks like the following: ###########################
production:
delivery_method: :smtp
smtp_settings:
tls: true
address: "smtp.gmail.com"
port: '587'
domain: "smtp.gmail.com"
authentication: :plain
user_name: ""
password: "password" ###########################

And I am getting this error

"An error occurred while sending mail (535-5.7.1 Username and Password not accepted. Learn more at )"

I checked the /var/log/redmine/default/production.log file and didn't find any errors.

Can anyone help me out :) ?

Thanks in advance.

Replies (6)

RE: Problem with Gmail notification settings - Added by Ladislav Nesnera almost 12 years ago

Hi. This one works well for me. Maybe it helps

production:
  delivery_method: :smtp
  smtp_settings:
    tls: true
    enable_starttls_auto: true
    address: "smtp.gmail.com" 
    port: '587'
    domain: "gmail.com" 
    authentication: :plain
    user_name: "XXXXX@gmail.com" 
    password: "XXXXX" 

RE: Problem with Gmail notification settings - Added by Nestor Amaya over 10 years ago

I had a similar problem, but I resolved it by removing the "default:" email_delivery section in configuration.yml. I only kept "production: ".

Cheers,
Nestor

RE: Problem with Gmail notification settings - Added by Nestor Amaya over 10 years ago

This was not true - removing default returned a faulty "success" message. In fact, notifications were disabled as a result of removing "default: " section.

I'm guessing the problem is with the TLS setup/support for my installation, since from the Google message boards, this errors has to do with authentication failure, but I know that my account/pwd settings are correct.

But I gave up trying to fix it. Turns out "sendmail" works for my setup, and is the easiest option...

Cheers,
Nestor

RE: Problem with Gmail notification settings - Added by Brandon Bertelsen over 9 years ago

It should be noted that if you installed on Ubuntu using apt, there are two settings locations only one of which is functional:

/usr/share/redmine/config # Not the right place

/etc/redmine/default/ # The right place to change your settings.

RE: Problem with Gmail notification settings - Added by Franta Vomacka over 1 year ago

Anyone who is facing same issue like mentioned in original post => Email notifications using Gmail SMTP not working (stopeed working in my case) with error code:

"535 5.7.8 Error: authentication failed: authentication failure" 

and can't figure out why (like me) => check Gmail account Security settings => "Allow less secure apps: ON".

In my case, it seems, that after Redmine VM migration from one DC to another (different IP), GMAIL automatically disabled this feature (security reasons).
So in my case - after trying all variants of changing config file, found out this simple solution...
Hope it might help someone...

PS:
I also checked basic stuff like (Redmine running on Windows 2016)
  • Check if I'm able to connect directly from VM to Gmail server and port
    • Add telnet client from "Turn Windows features on or off"
    • from cmd
      telnet smtp.gmail.com 587
      • if there is anything similar to this:
        220 smtp.gmail.com ESMTP u2sm755521edp.12 - gsmtp
        you're able to reach SMTP server and problem is elsewhere...

(1-6/6)